RSHA/Humanities Research Centre Internal Fellowships 2021
We invite applications from continuing or fixed-term staff for the 2021 HRC/RSHA Internal Fellowship scheme, which provides one semester of research-only time and sessional support to cover teaching responsibilities. One fellowship per year will be awarded to RSHA staff in the second semester to complete a book manuscript, substantial journal article(s), or equivalent non-traditional research output. Early- and mid-career researchers are encouraged to apply.
Selection for the Fellowship will be decided by a committee that includes the Head of the HRC, the HRC Senior Research Fellow, and the Director of the RSHA, in consultation with the relevant Heads of School, and the main criteria for selection will be research excellence and the quality of the academic venue. (In the case of monographs, preference will be given to scholars with a contract or commitment from a reputable academic publisher.) Potential applicants are strongly recommended to discuss their proposal with their Head of School or the Director of the RSHA, Professor Paul Pickering, in advance of submitting an application.
- the quality of the proposed outcome;
- the applicant’s capacity to complete the outcome within the Fellowship period;
- the applicant’s track record relative to opportunity;
- the nature and extent of the applicant’s current teaching load.
Applications must include:
- an abstract (no more than one page);
- the applicant’s CV (no more than four pages);
- a timeline for completion of the task;
- a statement (150-250 words) of how the Fellowship will benefit the applicant;
- a relevant draft or drafts;
- evidence (in the case of a monograph) that the work has been accepted for publication at a reputable academic press; and
- endorsement from the applicant’s Head of School or Centre Director, accompanied by an outline of an agreed arrangement and budget for teaching relief.
Successful applicants must be located in the HRC in the Sir Roland Wilson Building for the duration of their fellowship, with time away for research and/or conference attendance not to exceed four weeks during the entire fellowship. (Staff on or just returning from OSP are not eligible.) Internal fellows are expected actively to participate in the life of the HRC, attending regular events and the weekly seminar series, and are required to present a seminar on their research topic in the HRC Seminar Series.
At the end of the fellowship, the RSHA Internal Fellow may be invited to continue their affiliation with the HRC as an Associate Research Fellow, renewable on an annual basis for a total period of up to three years. Renewal will be evaluated on the basis of a continued demonstrated engagement with, active participation in, and promotion of the HRC’s programs and events.
The deadline for applications is COB Tuesday 6 April 2021.
Please email the application to
RSHA Directorate Administration
Sir Roland Wilson Building